Nature and Nurture at Rolfe’s Nursery School
Rolfe’s Nursery School have recently developed an additional outdoor learning space to host forest school style sessions for their nursery aged children. In addition to their bespoke, wrap around garden space, with sandpit, water-wheel-fall and Mud Kitchen, they now have a forest school area that enables their children to stay in touch with nature in their urban environment. Rolfe’s Nursery School is located just off Portobello, in Notting Hill and Headteacher, Miss Elstob is passionate about the children understanding the world around them, knowing how to take care of their environment and encourages all children to develop a love of learning and intellectual curiosity through their skills based approach.
The children develop their physical, social and emotional skills and have such fun delving into exploring a wide range of activities such as:
- Taking part in mini-beast hunts
- Regularly looking after insects in their ‘Bug Hotels’
- Growing and caring for a plants, through horticultural engagement
- Learning how to use natural resources to build their own dens and use natural tools for mark making and emergent writing
- Developing an understanding of what it means to be eco-friendly